Each summer DESY offers undergraduate students in physics or related natural science discipline the possibility to participate in the research activities of the laboratory. Selected candidates join in the day-to-daywork of research groups at the DESY Laboratory in Hamburg or Zeuthen (close to Berlin) and participate in one of their activities.
Selected candidates join in the day-to-day work of research groups at the DESY Laboratory in Hamburg or Zeuthen (Berlin) and participate in one of these activities:
1. Program A: Experiments with Synchrotron Radiation
Students join photon science groups at DESY engaged in fundamental and applied research in the fields of physics, biology, chemistry, crystallography, material science, and geological science. Some of the students will work in the frame of the European XFEL project. The work includes participation in activities like preparation and realization of measurements, evaluation of measured data, and technical improvements of instrumentation.
2. Program B: Research in Elementary Particle Physics, accelerators and computing
The activities can be characterized by the following categories:
- B1 Physics analysis (software-oriented)
- B2 Data processing (software-oriented)
- B3 Development of experimental equipment (hardware-oriented)
- B4 Research on Accelerators
- B5 Theory of Elementary Particles
- B6 Computing.
In the online application, applicants should mark for which program categories they apply (up to three choices).
For more information, please visit: