The Department of Defense (DOD) recently released a Request for Information (RFI) to help inform its new Long Range Research and Development Plan (LRRDP). The RFI calls for the identification of major current or emerging technologies and/or “projections of technology-enabled concepts” that can be harnessed by DOD in the coming years to bolster the nation’s military advantage. The LRRDP was cited by Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel as a key component of DOD’s new Defense Innovation Initiative (DII) aimed at facilitating America’s continued military superiority during a time of constrained resources. Despite Secretary Hagel’s impending departure, the RFI is expected to be a key vehicle for informing DII, which will endure under Deputy Secretary Robert Work. Through this solicitation, stakeholders will have an opportunity to provide information that could be used to aid in the prioritization of DOD research and development investments. Specifically, DOD is looking for suggestions pertaining to the following five focus areas:
1. Space Technology
2. Undersea Technology
3. Air Dominance and Strike Technology
4. Air and Missile Defense Technology
5. Other Technology-Driven Concepts
According to the RFI, “submissions should describe the operational opportunity; discuss the enabling technologies, and discuss the proposed methods for employing the technology.” The technology-enabled capabilities outlined in the responses should be able to be matured and ready for full deployment in the next 5-10 years.
Eligibility: According to DOD, this RFI actively seeks proposals from the private sector, including those firms and academic institutions outside the Department’s traditional orbit.
Due Dates: Comments are due no later than January 14, 2015.
Sources and Additional Information:
· The full LRRDP RFI announcement can be found at:https://www.fbo.gov/spg/ODA/WHS/REF/HQ0034-15-RFI-1/listing.html.
· The full text of Secretary Hagel’s remarks regarding the Defense Innovation Initiative can be found at:http://www.defense.gov/Speeches/Speech.aspx?SpeechID=1903.
· A copy of Secretary Hagel’s memorandum creating the Defense Innovation Initiative is athttps://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1362126/osd013411-14.pdf.