Department(s): IAMDN Executive Committee
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Research Interests: developing novel photonic devices for communications, sensing, beam steering and other applications
Home Page: Link
- Silicon nanophotonics: modulators, switches, light emission
- Photonic crystals: devices & physics (e.g. slow light, superprism)
- Silicon photonic microsystems: optical phased arrays, spatial light modulators, on-chip optical interconnects, optical information processing microsystems.
- Nanoimprint and molding
- Plasmonics and metamaterials; disordered and quasi-periodic media
- Other interests: polymer photonics; fiber optics; laser beam steering;gratings; liquid crystals; phased array antennas.
|Parity & Time Reversal Symmetry in Multi-dimensional Photonic Crystals
- Symmetry plays important roles in designing photonic crystal structures and devices or, more generally, 2D/3D photonic synthetic structures.
- Even-Odd mode-symmetry/parity transform in PCWs shows the potential of breaking time-reversal symmetry, enabling one-way waveguidesor optical isolators.
- Symmetry-induced singularities can lead to ultra-high sensitivities in superprism effects whilemaintaining low loss.
- Symmetrical structures can enable a class of novel wavelength-division-multiplexing (WDM) devices.
- Provisional Patent filed.
|Slow light Thermo-optic Switches
- Power consumption and spatial temperature profile are found as explicit functions of structural, thermal and optical parameters
- Agree with FEM simulations and experiments
- Air-bridge (membrane) configuration is shown to enhance the temperature rise compared to the SOI structure.
- Scaling of power consumption with key parameters (buried oxide layer thickness, heater location & width, group index, etc.)
- Practical analysis of slow light loss in photonic crystal waveguide switches
- Sub-milliwatt switching power is possible
- Substrate effect can be precisely modeled
Dual racetrack Si micro-resonators for quadrature amplitude modulation
- Strong coherent cross-coupling between two parallel racetrack micro-resonators
- In over-coupling scenario, there is a delicate balance between the direct sum and “interactions” of two resonances
- Large amplitude & phase modulation ranges
- Suitable for arbitrary quadrature amplitude modulation (including DPSK, QPSK, 16-QAM, etc.)
- Resilient against fabrication imperfections