Department(s): IAMDN Executive Committee
Research Interests: Electronic Materials, Surface and Interface Science, Condensed Matter Physics; Thin Films, Epitaxy, Materials Science, Nanostructures; Materials Modification and Analysis Using Ion Beams; Organization and administration of academic research; Science education
Home Page: Link
- Ph.D. (Physics) - Rutgers, The State University, 1967
- M.S. (Physics) - Rutgers, The State University, 1963
- B.A. (Physics) - Drew University, 1961
FIELDS OF INTERESTS:
- Electronic Materials, Surface and Interface Science
- Thin Films, Epitaxy, Materials Science
- Materials Modification and Analysis Using Ion Beams
- 2007 - Director, Institute for Advanced Materials, Devices and Nanotechnology, Rutgers University
- 2007 - Vice President, Physical Science and Engineering Partnerships, Rutgers University
- 1996 - Stevenson Professor of Physics, Vanderbilt University
- 1996 - Distinguished Visiting Scientist, Oak Ridge National Lab
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND AWARDS:
- Senior Member IEEE (2012)
- Elizabeth Laird Memorial Lecture, University of Western Ontario (2011)
- 2009 Miegunyah Distinguished Fellow, Melbourne, Australia
- 2008 Distinction in the Physical Sciences Alumni Award, Rutgers Graduate School
- 2004 Fellow of American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- 1999 - Adler Lectureship Prize - American Physical Society
- Fellow of the American Physical Society
- Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters (elected, 1994)
- Distinguished Member of Technical Staff - AT&T Bell Labs
- 1978 - Chairperson, Gordon Conference on Particle - Solid Interactions
- 1996 - Chairperson, Gordon Conference on Defects in Semiconductors
- Robert Mehrabian Distinguished Lecturer in Materials - University of California, Santa Barbara
- 1991 - Ontario Center for Materials Research, Distinguished Lecturer
- Fellow of the American Vacuum Society
- 1997- - Editor, J. of Vacuum Sci. and Tech.
- 1989-1994 - Principal Editor, Journal of Materials Research
- 1986- - Editorial Board, "Surface Science Reports," Elsevier
- 1985- - Editor-in-Chief, "Applied Surface Science," North Holland
- 1982- - Editorial Advisory Board - "Radiation Effect," Gordon and Breach
- International Council Member, Eastern Macedonia and Thrace Institute of Technology / Kavala Institute of Technology, Kavala, Greece
- NSF Int'l Materials Institute for Solar Energy and Environment(IMI-SEE.)Advisory Board (2010)
- 2010 NSF Int'l Materials Institute for Solar Energy and Environment(IMI-SEE.)Advisory Board
- 2007 New Jersey's Science & Technology, Physics Department Advisory Board
- 1999-2005 Columbia University, MRSEC Advisory Board
- 1996 - Livermore National Lab, Physics Div. Adv. Panel
- 1996 - Sci. Adv. Council, Institute for Semiconductor Physics, Frankfurt-Oder, Germany
- 1992 - Sandia Labs - Review Panel
- 1991- - Chairperson, Scientific Council, Danish Microelectronics Ctr.
- 1988 - National Science Foundation Science and Tech. Centr. Selection Panel
- 1983-1986 - University of Chicago Review Committee for Argonne National Lab. (Physics Div.)
- Chairperson, SEMATECH Com. on Critical Materials for elec. Tech.
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS:
- "Handbook of Instrumentation and Techniques for Semiconductor Nanostructure Characterization”, R. Haight, F.M. Ross & J.B. Hannon, Forward by L.C. Feldman, World Scientific / Imperial College Press (2011).
- "Fundamentals of Nanoscale Film Analysis”, T.L. Alford, L.C. Feldman, and J.W. Mayer, Springer (2007); translated into Japanese, (2008), translated into Russian (2012).
- "Electronic Materials Thin Film Science,” K. Tu, J.W. Mayer and L.C. Feldman, Macmillan Publ. N.Y. (1992)
- "Fundamentals of Surface and Thin Film Analysis,” L.C. Feldman and J.W. Mayer, North Holland-Elsevier, N.Y. (1986); translated into Japanese, Kaibundo Publishing (1988); translated into Russian, MIR Publishing (1989)
- "Materials Analysis by Ion Channeling,” L.C. Feldman, J.W. Mayer and S.T. Picraux, Academic Press, N.Y. (1982)
- Articles - over 400 including:
- Determination of optical damage cross-sections and volumes surrounding ion bombardment tracks in GaAs using coherent acoustic phonon spectroscopy, A. Steigerwald, A.B. Hmelo, K. Varga, L.C. Feldman, N. Tolk, J. Appl. Phys., 112013514 (2012).
- Phosphorous passivation of the SiO2/4H-SiC interface, Y. K. Sharma, A. C. Ahyi, T. Issacs-Smith, X. Shen, S. T. Pantelides, X. Zhu, L. C. Feldman, J. Rozen, J. R. Williams, Solid-State Electronics 68 (2012) 103-107
- The effect of nigrogen plasma anneals on interface trap density and channel mobility for 4H-SiC MOS devices, X. Zhu, A.C. Ahyi, M. Li, Z. Chen, J. Rozen, L.C. Feldman, J.R. Williams, Solid State Electronics, 57, 76-79 (2011)
- Reconfiguration and Dissociation of Bonded Hydrogen in Silicon by Energetic Ions, S.V.S. Nageswara Rao, S.K. Dixit, G. Lüpke, N.H. Tolk and L.C. Feldman, Phys. Rev. B 83, 045204 (2011)
- High electron mobility due to sodium ions in the gate oxide of SiC-metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistors, B. R. Tuttle, S. Dhar, S.-H. Ryu, X. Zhu, J. R. Williams, L. C. Feldman, and S. T. Pantelides, J. of Appl. Phys. 109, 023702 (2011)
- A Molybdenum Dithiolene Complex as a p-Dopant for Hole-Transport Materials: A Multitechnique Experimental and Theoretical Investigation, Yabing Qi, T. Sajoto, M. Kröger, A.M. Kandabarow, W. Park, S. Barlow, Eung-Gun Kim, L. Wielunski, L.C. Feldman, R.A. Bartynski, J-L Brédas, S.R. Marder, A. Kahn, Chemistry of Materials, v 22, 2, 524-531 (2010)
- Size effects in the structural phase transition of VO2 nanoparticles studied by surface-enhanced Raman scattering, E.U. Donev, J.I. Ziegler, R.F. Haglund, Jr.; L.C. Feldman, Journal of Optics A: Pure and Applied Optics, v 11, n 12, p 125002 (8 pp.), (2009)
- Charge trapping properties of 3C- and 4H-SiC MOS capacitors with nitrided gate oxides, R. Arora, J. Rozen, D.M. Fleetwood, K.F. Galloway, C.X. Zhang, Jisheng Han; S. Dimitrijev, F. Kong, L.C. Feldman, S.T. Pantelides, R.D. Schrimpf, IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, v 56, n 6, pt.1, p 3185-91, (2009)
- Doping of Conjugated Polythiophenes with Alkyl Silanes, C.Y. Kao, B. Lee, L.S. Wielunski, M. Heeney, I. McCulloch, E. Garfunkel, L.C. Feldman and V. Podzorov, Advanced Functional Materials, v 19, n 12, p 1906-11, 23 (2009)
- Chemical Properties of Oxidized Silicon Carbide Surfaces upon Etching in Hydrofluoric Acid, S. Dhar, Oliver Seitz, M.D. Hall, S. Choi, Y.J. Chabal, L.C. Feldman, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 131 (46), pp 16808–16813 (2009)
- Doping of Conjugated Polythiophenes with Alkyl Silanes, C.Y. Kao, B. Lee, L.S. Wielunski, M. Heeney, I. McCulloch, E. Garfunkel, L.C. Feldman and V. Podzorov, J. of Functional Materials, 19, 1906 (2009).
- Growth of Graphene-Like Structures on an Oxidized SiC Surface, W. Lu, W.C. Mitchel, J.J. Boeckl, T. Crenshaw, W.E. Collins, R.P.H. Change and L.C. Feldman, J. of Elec. Materials 38 (6), 731 (2009).
- Hole Traps, as a Function of the Nitrogen Density in SiO2 on SiC, J. of Appl. Phys. 105, 124506 (2009).
- Thermal Bubble Nucleation in Nanochannels: Simulations and Strategies for Nanobubble Nucleation and Sensing, M. Sridhar, D. Xu, A.B. Hmelo, D. Li and L.C. Feldman, Microelectromechanical Systems: Materials and Devices II, eds. S.M. Spearing, S. Vengallatore, N. Sheppard, J. Bagdahn, Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. 1139, GG03-22 (2009).
- Confocal Raman Microscopy across the Semiconductor-Metal Transition of Single Vanadium Dioxide Nanoparticles, E.U. Donev, R. Lopez, L.C. Feldman and R.F. Haglund Jr., Nanoletters 9, 702 (2009).
- Semiconductor Point Defect Concentration Profiles Measured Using Coherent Acoustic Phonon Waves, A. Steigerwald, Y. Xu, J. Qi, J. Gregory, X. Liu, J.K. Furdyna, K. Varga, A.B. Hmelo, G. Lüpke, L.C. Feldman and N.H. Tolk, Appl. Phys. Lett. 94, 111910 (2009).
- Proton Tunneling: a Decay Channel for Relaxation of the O-H Stretch Mode in KTAO3, E.J. Spahr, L. Wen, M. Stavola, L.A. Boatner, L.C. Feldman, N.H. Tolk and G. Lüpke, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 075506 (2009).
- Increase in Oxide Hole Trap Density Associated with Nitrogen Incorporation at the SiO2/SiC Interface, J. Rozen, S. Dhar, S.K. Dixit, V.V. Afanas’ev, F.O. Roberts, H.L. Dang, S. Wang, S.T. Pantelides, J.R. Williams and L.C. Feldman, J. of Appl. Phys. 103, 124513 (2008).
- Modulation of the Gold Particle–Plasmon Resonance by the Metal–Semiconductor Transition for Vanadium Dioxide, J.Y. Suh, E.U. Donev, D.W. Ferrara, K.A. Tetz, L.C. Feldman and R.F. Haglund Jr., J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt. 10, 055202 (2008)
- 21 patents related to thin film growth and hetrostructure formation